Cantillon Zwanze Weekend
Sept. 27 – 29, 2019
Zwanze at the Pub is more than just the one beer!
We celebrate the style of spontaneous brewing as well as exquisite Belgian beers all weekend. Because there is always only ONE keg of Zwanze, we cellar beers all year long for tapping on this day, and we encourage our guests to think past (just) the Zwanze and come and make a weekend of it.
How It Works & What To Expect!
We love Zwanze Day! Because there is always only one keg of Zwanze, we tap lots of other fabulous sours throughout the weekend, starting with some rare and special beers on Friday night! It’s our favorite tap list of the year! Please read about the tapping time & beer lists below. Many of these beers haven’t arrived yet, so we cannot price any of the tickets until we have the beers in house. We will update the list with the prices as soon as they arrive!
How To Get A Pour/Ticket For Zwanze Sept. 28
We do not sell tickets in advance.
To us, Zwanze Weekend is about our extraordinary beer list designed for lovers of spontaneously fermented sour beers and the community we’ve built through the event over the years. Our system is designed for folks to come, relax and drink many wonderful beers while they wait for Zwanze to be tapped.
Polly will begin taking names at about 9AM Saturday morning on the front sidewalk just by the front doors. Names will be taken in roughly the order in which you arrive. Once we fill our list for all the Zwanze pours, we will stop taking names. That means if your name is on the list, you will get a pour. We do this so that you can relax and enjoy all the other beers we have in house while you wait for the 2pm Zwanze tapping!
If there is still space inside the Pub, those folks not on the Zwanze list will be able to come in and drink all the other incredible beers we are serving that day.
We do not allow folks to leave and return while keeping their place “in line” for a Zwanze pour. If you leave the Pub prior to the Zwanze pouring, you will lose your place on the Zwanze list.
Please arrive with the intention of settling down and enjoying the day with us.!
Our kitchen will have a couple of simple breakfast items starting at 8AM and Nathaniel Zimet will be serving brunch from his truck starting about 9:30 that morning. He will be staying at least until the mid afternoon with fun dishes he has created to augment our regular kitchen menu.
How crazy & crowded does it get?
Zwanze Day is the one day of the year that we tightly regulate how many people can enter the Pub. When the Pub becomes crowded and seating has all been occupied, we stop letting folks in. We know it’s an expensive day for beer lovers and we want everyone to have a relaxed and fun experience without fighting hordes of other customers at the bar. Most people who come for Zwanze never notice this, but occasionally they will ask someone to meet them later in the day. It’s best to warn those late coming friends that they may not be able to get into the Pub if they arrive between the hours of 10AM and 2pm
Will I have to stand in line?
In the past a line has formed outside the pub shortly before 9AM. Folks who arrive before 9AM are welcome to relax in the Pub but names for Zwanze will be taken outside the front door starting at 9AM.
Can I bring my own beer to drink while I wait in the 9AM Zwanze line?
NO. Please do NOT bring beer to consume or share to the Pub that day.
Guests who bring their own and consume what they’ve brought on the sidewalk or inside the bar may be removed from the Zwanze list. Please do not attempt a bottle share in our parking lot. Guests are welcome to grab a beer from us to drink while they are in line.
T-shirts & Such
Shirts and other merchandise will be available for sale in front of the bar. This year we will let you make your purchase and hold your purchase in the “cellar” until you are ready to leave.
Life before Zwanze – Friday Night, Sept. 27)
We always tap a Cantillon Friday night!
Most of the fabulous non Cantillon drafts are also available Friday night. One day just isn’t enough time to taste everything!
We start the rare beer pours on Friday night!
This year we have added some very rare Meads to our Friday line up.
Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen & Tilquin starting Friday at 3pm
Cantillon Magic Lambic- Raspberry & Blueberry Lambic (ticket only until 9pm) $36** **Includes one pour of Cantillon Magic Lambic and two other 6 ounce pours from our Zwanze weekend draft or bottle pour list
- Drie Fonteinen Cuvée Armand & Gaston a la carte $13.00 6oz
- Tilquin Groseille Rouge 2018 a la carte $12.00 6oz
- Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek a la carte $13.00 6oz
Plus an amazing array of other hard to find Lambics and sour beers!
Moonlight Utopias & Piety Chocolate Pairing – In the Cellar at 5pm
Moonlight Mead flight aged in Utopias Barrels paired with chocolates from Piety & Desire. Start time and $20 for a ¾ ounce each paired with Piety Chocolates
- Utopian #2 bottled 07.14.2011, barrel-aged 6 months
- Utopian #3 botted 10.19.2011, barrel-aged 10 months
- Utopian #4 bottled 10.20.2011 barrel-aged 10 months
- Utopian #5 bottled 09.19.2012, barrel-aged 20 months
- Utopian #6 bottled 01.31.2013 barrel-aged 24 months
- Utopian #8 bottled 12.18.2014 barrel-aged 48 months
Zwanze Day – Sat., Sept. 28
The tap list isn’t finished yet but here are some of the superstars
Life After Zwanze That Weekend
Later in the Day/Evening September 28 Zwanze Day
Cantillon St Lamvinus around 4:30 PM
We always save a Cantillon keg to tap after Zwanze blows or at 4:30pm-which- ever comes last. Any customer who gets turned away for Zwanze will be given first dibs on tickets for the St Lamvinus as long they are back in the building by 4:30PM. We hope this soothes any hurt feelings that might occur if we have to turn anyone away.
Old Fashioneds with Polly at 7PM-ish
We’ve been doing this for years, now its official. When the craziness is over and Polly has had a few lambics herself, we start on the Old Fashioneds.
Zwanze Hangover – Sun., Sept. 29, 11AM until…
Chef Octavio Ycaza will bring be cooking for us on Sunday and we will be making Death in the Morning cocktails to help your hangover!
Tapping Schedule & List For Zwanze Weekend
Sour Beers On Tap
Traditionally made Belgian Lambics & Geuze
- Cantillon Magic Lambic- Raspberry & Blueberry Lambic – Friday Night Only
- Cantillon Nath – Rhubarb Lambic- Saturday
- Cantillon Kriek – Sour Cherry Lambic Saturday
- Cantillon Gueuze- Saturday
- Cantillon Fou Foune – bottle pours Saturday
- Cantillon Zwanze 2019 – Elegant Gueuze Made With Smoked Malts – Saturday
- Cantillon St Lamvinus – Merlot Grape Lambic -Saturday
- Tilquin Mure – Blackberry Lambic
- Tilquin Gueuze Draft Version
- Tilquin Questche – Plum Lambic
Additonal Sour And Tart Drafts
- Cucumber Berliner Weiss, 8 Wired (New Zealand)
- Halo Milshake Berliner Weiss (Passionfruit & Raspberrries ), Brewski (Sweden)
- Wrapped In Red (Raspberry ) , Brekeriet (Sweden)
- Wild Feijoa, 8 Wired (New Zealand)
- Son Of Plum (Wild Wale With Peaches & Plums), Moon Dog (Australia)
- Wild Card Sour Barrel Aged With Apricots, Het Nest (Belgium)
- Darbyste Fig Saison, Blaugies (Belgium)
- Saison With Ginger & Grapefruit 1.4 , Brew By Numbers (England)
- Life Balance Orange & Lemon Farmhouse, Fyne/Beerbliotek (Scotland)
- Camofleur Saison, Grimm (USA)
- People From The North Beire De Garde, Thiriez/Aubaron/Cambier (Spain)
- Naval Glazing Naval Orange Sour (NOLA)
- Harmony Mixed Fermentation. Saison (NOLA)
- Hawaii 504 Pineapple Basil Golden Sour (NOLA)
- Buggin Out, Zoney Beer Project Sour with Passionfruit & Guava 5%
Stouts On Draft
- Midnight Morning Imperial Stout With Coffee, Pceans Vanilla & Maple Syrup, Grimm (USA)
- Cherry Ninja Imperial Stout With Ginjinha Cherries, Mean Sardine/Demolen (Portugal)
- You Shall Nut Pass Hazelnut Porter, Tooi (Denmark)
Friday Night Draft & Bottle Pours
- Tilquin Groseille Rouge 2018
- Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek
- Drie Fonteinen Armand & Gaston